Coronavirus Update December 2021
Greater Tampa Bay Area Council
Boy Scouts of America
Roadmap to Program Resumption
Update # 16

The Council COVID-19 Response Committee leadership has virtually consulted over the past several days considering the impact of the Omicron variant in our local area. The leadership, after reviewing all available information, has decided to issue the following statement relative to the current situation.

We are aware that the Omicron strain poses an increased risk to individuals participating in upcoming Council events; specifically, Winter Camp (27-30 December) and National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) (26-31 December 2021). 

Given this we are recommending the following for all participants:

  1. It is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED that all staff and attendees mask voluntarily.
  2. Winter Camp and NYLT leadership are being strongly urged to conduct events outdoors to the maximum extent possible.
  3. Winter Camp and NYLT leadership are being strongly advised to make necessary indoor modifications to provide enhanced facility and individual hygiene and to promote increased social distancing.

Additionally, the following existing policies remain in effect:

  1. Mandatory masking for Council and District Cub Scout and Webelos events. (This is in recognition of the fact that children 5-11 years old have had a limited window to complete COVID-19 vaccination)
  2. All participants In Council or District events will still be required to complete and sign the Council Pre-Event Medical Screening and Hold Harmless Agreement. There is no need to take and record temperatures while entering a Council and District event and/or property.
  3. That all individuals who intend to participate in a Council or District event who think or know they have had COVID-19 and had symptoms not participate in that event
    1. Until 10 days since symptoms first appeared, and
    2. Until 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications, and
    3. Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*

*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation.

The Committee understands that our policies may conflict with those of other organizations-both governmental and non-governmental.  This variance was seriously considered; however, safety concerns were deemed paramount.  The Committee continues to monitor the current situation daily and will reconsider existing guidelines as necessary.  Until then it is important to note our Roadmap forward remains fluid and subject to change dependent upon exigent circumstances.  As always, we will provide updates as they occur.

Please be assured that the safety of all our Scouting Family is our primary concern.