For information on the Eagle Scout process, please visit All Things Eagle Scout.
Scouts BSA rank requirement changes for 2021 can be found here.
Merit badge requirements; including 2021 updates for Archaeology, Collections, Digital Technology, Disabilities Awareness, Electricity, Fish & Wildlife Management, Fishing, Fly-Fishing, Lifesaving, Motorboating, Nature, Photography, Public Health, Rowing, Sports, Theater, and Woodwork; can be found here.
Information on Venturing and Sea Scout Leadership Awards can be found here.
For permission to have the Eagle rank or other BSA logo reproduced on a cake, please submit the Cake Release Form.
Merit Badge Counselors
In an effort to provide the best possible advancement experience for our Scouts, the GTBAC established a rule in accordance with the Guide to Advancement. It is the policy of this council that no counselor may be certified for more than 20 merit badges. By limiting the number of badges that any one counselor is certified for, there is a better chance that the counselor is an expert in the subject matter.
All counselors must renew every year as per BSA policy.
How to Become a Merit Badge Counselor
All Merit Badge Counselors must be registered members of the Boy Scouts of America.
To register, you must:
- Fill out and submit a BSA Adult Application form with Position Code “42.” (There is no fee to register as a Merit Badge Counselor.)
- Submit a Merit Badge Counselor Application.
- Submit copy of current Youth Protection Training certificate.
- Be at least 18 years old.
- Be proficient in the merit badge subject by vocation, avocation or special training.
- Be able to work with Scout-age youth.
- Complete online training. More information can be found here.
More information can be found on ScoutingMagazine.org.
To become a registered Nova Counselor, follow the above procedure, using Position Code “58.” There is no additional Nova Counselor Application.
To become a registered Supernova Mentor, follow the above procedure, using Position Code “52” and submit the Supernova Mentor Information Form in place of the Merit Badge Counselor Application.
Nova Counselors and Supernova Mentors must be 21 years of age.
General Advancement Information
- Age Requirement Eligibility
- BSA’s Guide To Advancement 2019
- Advancement for Scouts With Special Needs
- Religious Emblem Programs
- Other Advancement Resources
Cub Scout Advancement Information
Boy Scout Advancement Information
- Boy Scout Joining Requirements
- Mechanics of Advancement: In Boy Scouting And Varsity Scouting
- The Eagle Scout Rank
- Alternative Rank Requirements
- The Merit Badge Program
- Introduction to Merit Badges
Venturing Advancement Information
- Mechanics of Advancement: In Venturing
- Venturing Advancement
Sea Scout Advancement Information
Each year our council offers excellent advancement opportunities through AquAcademy, Frontier Days Weekend, and Merit Badge Academy. To help Scouts, parents, and unit leaders better understand the Eagle journey, we offer a Life to Eagle Workshop twice a year. This half-day workshop provides valuable information about planning and executing the required Eagle Project, navigating Eagle paperwork, and how to plan an Eagle Court of Honor.
The Guide to Advancement is the reference that can be used for any questions about Advancement.