What Is the Campmaster Corps?
Do you like to help others? Do you like spending time at any of our council camps? Do you have some weekends to spare? If your answer is yes, here’s a great opportunity for you.
The Campmaster Corps is a group of selected, trained, and registered Scouters who serve at council weekend camps whenever troops, teams, Webelos dens, or posts are using any part of the camp property. Campmasters select their own time and frequency of service, but they usually serve two to four times a year. The group is organized under the leadership of the Council Properties Committee. The entire project and its personnel are responsible to the Scout executive or Camping Director, or someone appointed by the Scout Executive or Camping Director. The Corps generally meets twice a year to evaluate its program, plan upcoming activities, and arrange for the training of any new members.
Campmasters are selected on the basis of their ability in several areas: outdoor skills, specialized knowledge of nature and conservation, and leadership skills. All Campmasters must have a record of demonstrated ability to get along with people, to lead, and to act in an emergency. All Campmasters must have a working knowledge of Scouting, troop and team operations, Scout advancement, and Webelos Scout camping. Experienced and registered Scouters, with the exception of unit leaders, are eligible for consideration as Campmasters.
- Would be interested in assisting troops, teams, Webelos dens, and boys at camp two to four weekends a year
- Is not presently a unit leader or assistant
- Has ability in outdoor Scouting skills — not necessarily an expert in all
- Has the ability to get along with people (very important)
- Has acceptable character traits (Scout Oath and Law)
- Would be eligible and willing to become a registered Scouter, if not one now
- Must take a weekend training session on how to be a successful Campmaster
- Has leadership ability and can get results
- Can size up a situation and provide necessary support
- Is dependable
- Has completed Youth Protection Training
- Is certified in First Aid
For more information, please contact Frank Marion, Property Manager, by email. To apply to be a member of the Corp, please complete the Application below and return it to the Tampa Service Center.