Commissioners are district and council volunteer leaders who help Scout units succeed. Commissioners coach and regularly consult with adult leaders of Cub Scout Packs, Boy Scout Troops, Venturing Crews, Explorer Posts and Sea Scout Ships. They help maintain the standards of the BSA through maintaining regular contact with unit leaders, counseling leaders on where to find assistance, noting weaknesses in programs and suggesting remedies to improve. The commissioner is successful when units effectively deliver the ideals of Scouting to their members.
Meet your Commissioners
Greater Tampa Bay Area Council Commissioner Corps
Assistant Council Commissioners
- Carl Hertenstein Roundtable
- Matt Kamat Administration
- Dr. Eric Renker Special Projects
- Dr. G. Torres Dean College of Commissioner Science
- Jake Updegrove Training and Recognition
- James Ronayne Special Needs
- Frank Wigg Roundtable
District Commissioners and Executives
|Commissioner||District||District Executive||Mobile Phone|
|Dr. G. Torres||Fort Brooke||Jason Borton||(813) 624-9764|
|Elissa Motter||Lake Region||Aaron Pickle||(863) 307-1350|
|Bill Haggard||Miccosukee||A J Gonzales||(727) 785-9045|
|Vacant||Suncoast||Zachary Schott||(813) 210-1788|
|Daniel Wendt||Skyway||Matthew Hall||(727) 522-3323|
|Mark Dye||Thunderbird||Hector Centeno||(863) 449-7294|
|Robert Lindsey||Timucua||Kyle Molldene||(407) 301-6622|
|Michael Percora||Withlacoochee||Jeremy Twachtman||(863) 224-4230|
District Roundtable Commissioners:
|Christopher Perry||Fort Brooke|
|Joan Nathans||Lake Region|
|Thomas Pina Bulu||Skyway|
|Russell Cummings||Thunderbird—Boy Scouts|
|Cheryl Dreyer||Thunderbird—Cub Scouts|
|Donna F. Williams||Timucua|
|John Coble||Withlacoochee—Boy Scouts|
|Michelle Percora||Withlacoochee—Cub Scouts|
Maybe you’d like to be a Commissioner?
It’s a great Scouting job, and very rewarding. Commissioners in the Greater Tampa Bay Area Council have many years of experience in Scouting, but that’s not a requirement! Even if you are new to Scouting, if you like working with people to promote good Scouting and solve problems, and you are willing to take advantage of the many Commissioner training opportunities put on throughout the year, you may be a great candidate for this area of Scouting service. Just contact Jeff Rock, Director of Field Service, by email, and you will be on your way. The Greater Tampa Bay Area Council Commissioner Corps is currently looking for volunteers at the Unit Commissioner level for all districts.
- Trained Scouter (or willing to be trained)
- Meet basic Boy Scouts of America membership requirements
- Willing to visit and regularly contact Scout units
- Willing to attend district activities
- Be pro-district and pro-council
- Willing to attend monthly commissioner staff meetings
- Willing to live by the Scout Oath and Law
Commissioner Tools Updates (Commissioner Tools 2.0 – Coming Soon)
Commissioner Tools is available via the my.Scouting.org portal. Commissioner Tools helps commissioners perform by providing access to information critical to supporting units. Here are a few examples of Commissioner Tools capabilities:
- Assign commissioners to units.
- Record contacts. A commissioner is most effective through frequent contact with units to build a friendly and trusting relationship.
- Roundtable administrations. Plan, record attendance, and monitor effectiveness.
- Conduct assessments to help a unit improve. In concert with the Unit Service Plan and Journey to Excellence (JTE), the tool provides the ability to record the results and build action plans that may access and incorporate district, council, and other resources beyond the unit.
- Monitor a unit’s progress. Access unit information.
Commissioner Tools PowerPoint presentation. Includes speaker notes that could be used for local training. Note: For the sake of completeness and to promote learning through repetition, there intentionally is some overlap between this presentation and the Unit Service Plan presentation.
Updates to Commissioner Tools This is the most recent update information regarding changes and improvements made to commissioner tools.
Unit Service Plan
- Unit Service Plan PowerPoint presentation . Provides a fundamental understanding of the concepts for Commissioner Tools. The Unit Service Plan was developed to help improve unit performance based on unit needs discovered during a Detailed Assessment. Commissioner Tools incorporates both the Detailed Assessment and the Unit Service Plan.
- Why Do a Unit Service Plan?
- Why Use Commissioner Tools?