Coronavirus Update May 2021
Greater Tampa Bay Area Council
Boy Scouts of America
Roadmap to Program Resumption
Update # 12
The Council COVID-19 Response Committee met virtually again on May 12, 2021 to review the status within the Council and to make necessary adjustments to the Council’s posture during this continued pandemic. Existing infection trends across the Council’s counties and national, state, and regional lessons learned were considered. We remain convinced that our prudent way forward best serves our Scouts, Leaders, and their families. Thanks to the diligent efforts of all participants, we are continuing to offer safe program opportunities for the youth of the Greater Tampa Bay Area.
The Committee believes that the current science supports adjustments in our way forward.
Effective upon release of this document the following adjustments will be made to our protocols:
- The requirement to wear masks outdoors at Council and District Scouting events is suspended. The Committee strongly encourages continued voluntary masking. Indoor masking is still required.
- Council tenting policies are changed as follows:
- Two individuals can now sleep in Council Canvas tents. They should sleep head to toe.
- Unit and/or individually owned tents used on Council properties can be used at 50% capacity (i.e., two persons in a four-person tent or four people in an eight-person tent, etc.) and should sleep head to toe.
- Four individuals can now sleep in Council Adirondacks. Care should be taken to ensure sufficient distancing is utilized in the Adirondacks.
The Committee also approved the following future changes to Council policy, subject to the conditions where stated:
- Effective June 10, 2021:
- Dining Hall capacity will be changed to full capacity.
- The requirement for using disposable trays and flatware will be suspended. Use of non-disposable trays, plates, cups, glasses, and flatware will be authorized. Indoor masking when not eating at a table will still be required.
- Cohort sanitation practices will be implemented in certain program areas such as climbing and COPE.
- Effective July 11, 2021
- The requirement to wear masks indoors at Council and District events will be suspended. This suspension will only occur if a 50% vaccination rate is achieved collectively in Hillsborough, Pasco, and Pinellas Counties and current positive COVID metrics are sustained.
- If implemented the Committee will still strongly encourage voluntary masking.
- All Tent/Adirondack camping restrictions will be removed.
The Committee also wishes to reiterate the following:
- The requirement to take and record temperatures was suspended for all Council and District events in Update # 11 released in March. There appears to be some confusion about this change.
- The requirement to execute signed waivers remains in effect.
- Chartered Organizations have the right to impose more stringent requirements on their units for participation in Council and District events and during meetings in or at the Chartering Organization’s facilities or properties.
The Committee continues to monitor the current situation daily and will reconsider existing guidelines at its June 2021 meeting. Until then it is important to note our Roadmap forward remains fluid and subject to change dependent upon exigent circumstances. As always, we will provide updates as they occur.
Please be assured that the safety of all our Scouting Family is our primary concern.