Coronavirus Update July 21, 2021
Greater Tampa Bay Area Council
Boy Scouts of America
Roadmap to Program Resumption
Update # 13

The Council COVID-19 Response Committee met virtually again on July 21, 2021. This meeting specifically discussed the COVID outbreak that occurred at the Council’s National Youth Leadership Training (NYLT) course at Flaming Arrow Scout Reservation last week.

To date it appears that the impacted Scouts and Scouters are not seriously ill.  Council medical protocols and reporting procedures functioned properly and all individuals potentially exposed have been notified. As a reminder, if you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 at a Scouting event you are asked to report that exposure to the GTBAC council office. All information will be kept confidential:

Given these facts the Committee has decided the following:

  1. Indoor masking remains mandatory for all Council and District events.
  2. It is strongly recommended that all upcoming Council and Districts events be conducted outdoors to the maximum extent possible.
  3. Any individual who intends to participate in a Council or District event who believes or knows they have COVID-19 and/or symptoms may not participate in that event:
    1. Until 10 days since symptoms first appeared, and
    2. Until 24 hours with no fever without the use of fever-reducing medications, and
    3. Other symptoms of COVID-19 are improving*

*Loss of taste and smell may persist for weeks or months after recovery and need not delay the end of isolation.

The Committee understands that this current policy may conflict with those of other organizations, both governmental and non-governmental.  This variance was seriously considered, however, our comprehensive concern remains the health and safety of our members.

The Committee continues to monitor the current situation daily and will reconsider existing guidelines at its August 4, 2021, meeting.  Until then it is important to note our Roadmap forward remains fluid and subject to change dependent upon exigent circumstances.  As always, we will provide updates as they occur.

Please be assured that the safety of all our Scouting Family is our primary concern.